A week and a half ago I was going for a run. It seemed a pleasant day, blue sky but cold, below zero. ‘They’ had forecasted snow, but it didn’t seem likely. Nearing my turn around point around Kijkduin, some ‘bits’ started flying into my face. Bits of leaves or bark or something? Turned out to be snow. Within ten minutes the footpath and road wore a light white blanket. Another forty minutes and I was home, and a little while later everything was white.
We have had snow on the ground since then so I’ve been running inside, on a treadmill at the gym. I get really sweaty running indoors my hair is soon wet with perspiration and stuck to my cheeks and forehead. To deal with the lack of scenery I sing along to my ipod. I know I look a sight.
I would run outdoors but it’s getting way too cold, I haven’t got my crampon type thingys for my running shoes anymore and I am a world champion at slipping over in the ice and snow. None of my boots have any traction. Even Sean has had a couple of stacks. Bike riding is safer than walking. The bike paths and even moreso the road have less ice and snow than the footpaths. But really, its much nicer just to be inside.
Today Sean and I caught the tram to the centre to go shopping. All of the shops have their spring fashions in already which is crazy because nobody is wearing anything less than coat, gloves, scarf and boots. It has not been above -3°C in The Hague all week. Last night they called off the Rugby 6 Nations because the ground in Paris was frozen.
| Waiting for a tram |
Children love this below zero weather however. As soon as the ponds and canals had frozen over, kids were skating on every available area of ice. How do they know the ice is thick enough to take their weight?
| Skating in front of the Gemeentemuseum |
| Skating on the Hofvijver |
We’ve made most of our extracurricular activities indoor ones recently. We’ve been to the movies, watched DVDs and visited museums.
On Friday, I went to the Gemeentemuseum to see the Willem Maris exhibition. Maris (1844-1910) was a painter of The Hague school who painted mostly the Dutch landscape and mostly cows. He paints the cows in postures that cows really do stand in. Cows are not proud animals like dogs or horses. They often have an apathetic look about them and Maris captures this. His paintings are beautiful because of the colours of the fertile Dutch countryside and the light.
| Willem Maris calves |
| Willem Maris white cow |


No comments:
Post a Comment