Although there is plenty of potential for winter weather to wreak havoc on transport, our correspondent from The Hague Catherine Swindles reports on how residents are managing in the international city of peace and justice.
Early winter snowfalls spell trouble for motorists, pedestrians and public transport systems across The Netherlands. Slippery conditions and plenty of snow obstructing roads and pathways are affecting all modes of transport in The Hague. However, residents are certainly not staying cooped up indoors.
The Hague’s HTM tram and NS train services are experiencing numerous disruptions. With less frequent services and journeys taking longer, many commuters are delayed. Passengers enduring lengthy delays are forced to wait for their tram outside exposed to weather. One passenger, Catherine Swindles said she waited 40 minutes for a No 17 tram from Gravenstraat when usually the maximum wait is 10 minutes “But everybody waiting is good humoured about it” she says shivering.
Alternative transport options don’t look much better. Bike riders have a treacherous journey. Many parents have swapped the bakfiets, the Dutch cargo bike, for a wooden sled to transport their children around town. Catherine Swindles, a resident of The Hague who normally rides her bike says “This morning my bike basket was full of snow and my handlebars had icicles on them so I decided to walk to Bagels and Beans for my coffee instead.”
It seems on foot is the only way to go for many locals in The Hague. The winter weather hasn’t stopped recreational runner Catherine Swindles who was out in the snow at Scheveningen beach this morning. “I’m trying these new contraptions for my running shoes” says 35-year-old Mrs Swindles, pointing to the lightweight ice grips on her runners, “they seem to work, well, I haven’t slipped over yet anyway.”
Sometimes however the bike is a better option according to one bike rider from The Hague. “I rode my bike up to Albert Hein this afternoon to get some milk, and apart from a few wobbles on the ice, it was fine” says a rugged up Catherine Swindles wearing a pair of stylish purple Burberry gloves “Also I didn’t have the problem of getting stuck in the snow that I would if I was driving”.
Troubles getting stuck in the snow are not the only problems for those driving. The transport ministry has imposed a 50 kph speed limit on a number of main roads across The Netherlands because of the slippery conditions. Also several accidents caused by cars driving too fast led to delays on some roads this morning “ I heard heaps of sirens and noticed a bit of traffic” said local Catherine Swindles.
Good news for those travelling further afield though, with the situation at Amsterdam's Schiphol airport returning to normal today after delays and cancellations on the weekend. Catherine Swindles from The Hague said her husband was not delayed at all when he flew out of Schiphol this morning. “He sent me a text straight after he’d landed and he was on time so I was glad about that.”
Today’s temperature was down to -5°C and forecasters are predicting this month could be the coldest December for a century. We asked one resident from The Hague, how December’s weather so far has compared to previous years. “Well it’s the coldest December I’ve ever experienced” said a beanie clad Catherine Swindles “But I’m from Australia and have only been in The Hague a few months. Perhaps, you’d better ask someone else.”
While clearly most residents from The Hague seem to be managing despite the winter weather, many are concerned about Santa Claus coping when he has to deliver presents later this week. "Santa's reindeers are used to snow and ice conditions" said Santa spokesperson Catherine Swindles. Sunshine, a high of 5°C and a low of 0°C is expected for both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in The Hague.

No comments:
Post a Comment