Running this morning in -6°C, the second time I have run in the snow and it’s not as fun as it seems. I’m clad in full length tights, dry fit long sleeve top with a thermal undernath, polarfleece beanie, gloves and new socks. After my first snow run on Tuesday, I stopped in at de Hardloop Winkel (a running shoe shop) to ask what I could do to my shoes to stop the sideways slip and slide that was interfering with my intended forward motion. How do people run in the snow and not fall over? “Carefully” was the unhelpful reply. So giving up my initial plan of running like a mindless hysterical idiot, I followed his advice and ran ‘carefully’ this morning which requires a lot of concentration, watching my feet and learning which snow textures are the most slippery.
It’s slow. My out and back journey was from home to just past Scheveningen Pier and back, a 10km round trip. There is snow and ice everywhere, on the road, bike paths, footpaths, on the sand on the beach. I see a couple of other runners but no one returns my smile today , one profers a limp wave. Then on the turn around home, the wind picks up. Running into the wind with snow rushing at my face, landing in my eyes, finding it’s way up my nostrils I realise my face is frozen stuck, I couldn’t smile even if I wanted to.

No comments:
Post a Comment