Monday, May 31, 2010

We both didn't win

The Giro D’Italia finished up in Verona, being won by the Italian Ivan Basso. Our Cadel came in 5th. Richie Porte from Tasmania who is new to Professional cycling finished in 7th place. We anticipate victory for Cadel in July. I know you have not forgotten the Tour de France starts on July 3rd. We will be there. At the start. In Rotterdam. Just 22km from here. Sean is fitting in excitement. I’ll just clear his airway and turn him on his side.
While the professional cyclists were sweating blood, I was also going hard in the SDU Royal Ten, a 10km funrun in The Hague. Cadel and I are obviously in sync because I also didn’t win and so can totally relate with his defeat. My time was a little under 48 minutes and I am happy with that for now. But mainly I am pleased that I trained for and finished a race without injury which I haven’t accomplished in ages. Kenyans dominated in the SDU Royal Ten, coming first and second in the men’s race in around 29 minutes and first and third in the women’s race, won in just under 34 minutes. In my category of women’s recreational (no club) athletes I placed twentieth. But the time and place don’t matter, THE MAIN THING IS TO HAVE FUN. The actual racing is not fun, it hurts and I think ‘I am such an idiot, why am I doing this, just stop you stupid girl, my legs hurt, I can’t breathe, when is it over, my legs hurt, some swear words, my legs hurt’ but when I cross the finish line I feel great and then it is fun (somewhat).
The race didn’t have any hills to speak of but a few different running surfaces: road, bike path, cobble stones and forest paths. We ran through Queen Beatrix’s backyard or the parks surrounding her private residence (where I only observed one security guard) and this is a pretty area.
Of the other participants Sean and I noticed some slightly different running fashions and trends in the Netherlands. Dutch men seem more likely to pull on snug body hugging running tights that leave little to the imagination. Matching tracksuit tops and bottoms in retro shades are also the latest thing. Jumping up and down doing a full-on eighties style aerobic warm-up is quite alright, and if you are an adult skipping along like a child as an alternate way of getting from A to B, you will not turn any heads.
Sean’s performance in his assignment as chief bag holder was credible. I will continue to employ him in this role. I just have to find out about some more races nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment