Monday, April 12, 2010

Monday - Mundane but Cool Things About Holland

1. Blokker. Blokker is an inexpensive Homewares store where you can buy a toaster for 9 euro ( I got the 15 euro model because I didn’t want to be cheap). Despite the apartment being furnished we still had bits and pieces we had to buy. We keep finding things we need at home like more coathangers or scissors or teatowels and we say “let’s go to Blokker”. You can even buy bikes there.
2. Dutch coffee custom. Around 10:30am is the time when everybody stops for coffee (except for at Sean’s work when they have coffee from 9am to 10am). When I went to the laundrette one time (when we were still at hotel), the Turkish proprietors who don’t speak any English were having coffee and asked me to join them. I didn’t because I thought it might be awkward, none of us could speak more than a few words in each others language. Another day I walked into a fashion boutique at this time and was totally ignored while the shop assistants had their coffee, cake and gossip.
3. Bikes. We bought two bikes for commuting around town. You can’t go fast on a Dutch bike - everybody just cruises. The riding posture is bolt upright so you can’t get any power through your legs. Our bikes have wheel locks as well as chain locks. Bike theft is a national sport. There are hardly any bits of road without bike lanes. Sean rode to work today in his suit carrying his folder in one arm. I rode into the city centre to pay the makelaar and then home with two big bags of shopping. It’s totally normal to ride with one hand – the other hand can be holding your mobile phone that you are talking on, your shopping, an umbrella or just be in your pocket if it’s cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment