Easter Monday: Shops don’t open in the Hague until 11am or noon on Mondays – they like a lie in. And Easter Monday is treated with greater reverence than Good Friday – everything is bloody shut. So we couldn’t go to the laundrette to wash our clothes and Sean has run out of underpants. I think Sean is going to get me to try to wash his undies but I’m going to tell him to get lost.
Fortunately the Gemeente museum was open and we saw a special retrospective of Kandinsky and his group of artists Der Blaue Reiter (The Blue Riders) active in the early 1900’s. The Russian born Munich based Wassily Kandinsky is considered the first of the abstract artists and his work was brightly coloured some of it purely abstract but some with fragments of reality which I preferred.
The Gemeente Museum also had an haute couture exhibition. I loved the Chanel gowns - chic black and white with fine and beautiful embroidery and the Dior by Galliano gowns – more theatrical extravaganzas. Did you know that the term haute couture is a name protected by law and a company must meet certain criteria in order to advertise itself as haute couture? An haute couture house must have a workshop in Paris, they must run two shows per year in Paris and they must design for private clients with a minimum of three fittings. So like “champagne”, “haute couture” is another word that the French won’t let anyone else use!
Sean starts work tomorrow – I can’t wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment